Saturday, July 25, 2009

Zucchini Hamburger Relish

Zucchini squash is one of those summer vegetables that seem to multiply over night. We love squash of just about any variety and we eat it almost everyday all summer long. We had a bunch of zucchini that wasn't getting eaten soon enough, before a whole new batch would be ready to pick. So, before they go bad I canned them up today into Zucchini Hamburger Relish. We also canned dill pickles and cherries, but that's another post.
I have dehydrated lots of squash (summer and zucchini), so I didn't need more there. I am not real fond of frozen squash, cause it gets soggy when thawed. I also don't like to can to much of it as just plan squash in water, since it gets too soft. Thus, pickling and canning it this ways is always one of my favorite ways of preserving this plentiful veggie.
This relish is much like the sweet hamburger pickle relish that you purchase at the grocers. We use a lot of relish each year in things like: tuna salad, egg salad, potato salads, with pinto beans, on hamburgers and hot dogs, and "mock" egg salad (made with chickpeas). It's a lovely touch when added to a bowl of hot pinto beans.

Zucchini Hamburger Relish
1 green bell pepper
1 red bell pepper
10 cups of zucchini, peeled and cubed
4 cups onions, peeled and cut into quarters
4 tablespoons pickling salt or Celtic sea salt
1 teaspoon nutmeg
1 teaspoon mustard seed
2 1/2 cups vinegar
4 cups sugar
1 teaspoon turmeric powder
1 teaspoon corn starch or arrowroot
2 teaspoons celery seed
1/2 teaspoon pepper
4 to 6 drops green food coloring (optional)
Grind together the green pepper, red pepper, zucchini and onions. I use my kitchen aid slaw grinder. You could also use a food processor or hand cranked grinder. Just process it enough that everything is in small pieces just like that of store bought.
Place in a nonreactive bowl or pan, preferably glass, crockery, ceramic or enamel pan. Mix together well and add salt. Let this stand overnight.
Next morning, drain well, rinse with cold water and drain again.
Transfer to a large saucepan. Add nutmeg, mustard seed, vinegar, sugar, turmeric, corn starch, celery seed, pepper, and food coloring. If you don't add the food coloring it will be pale in color, but still taste the same. If you family is more accustomed to thinking relish has to be green, like mine, add a little food coloring.
Cook for 30 minutes on low to medium heat. While this is cooking, prepare and sterilize jars and rings. Place lids in heated water.
Once cooked, ladle into hot sterilized jars. Wipe rims clean, place on lids and rings. Process in a Boil Bath for 10 minutes. Adjusting time for you altitude. Let set for a week before opening. Yields 6 pints.
Enjoy!

3 comments:

  1. Great new blog! I'm really getting into canning this year. Do you have a great salsa recipe to share for canning? Thanks, lara

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lara,
    Thanks for the compliment.
    Yes, I do happen to have a very sonderful salsa recipe that I will be happy to share in the next day or so. This salsa is full of flavor and easy to prepare.
    I have tried a lot of salsa recipes over the years, but I always come back to this one.

    Serina

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lara,
    I got the salsa recipe posted. I do apologize that it has taken a week to get it up. I do hope you enjoy it.
    Serina

    ReplyDelete