What a busy day here at Red Bud Cottage, actually it started yesterday evening at around 7:30 PM when I began prepping stuff (washing fruit, chopping onions, peppers, etc.) for todays canning adventure. I got started about 8:00 this morning. I canned up 10 pint jars of Bruschetta, 14 Quarts of Wonderful Salsa, 14 Quarts of Crushed Stewed Tomatoes, 8 Quarts of Peach Pie Filling. It's 8:45 PM and I just took out the last of the jars from the boil bath. Long day, but it will be sooo worth it this winter when we open a jar and enjoy the taste of summer in a jar.

Isn't it lovely?
Today, I canned up two batches of this for a total of 10 pint jars. It is at its best when it has set a couple of weeks, allowing the wine and vinegars to meld with the tomatoes for a truly Italian taste.
I can hardly wait to have some of this on a toasted baguette or Italian bread with a little fresh Parmesan cheese sprinkled on top, but I will. We have some guest coming to our home in a few weeks, to which I will be serving a lovely Italian meal with Bruschetta as an appetizer.
This also makes an excellent "in a hurry & got nothing to take" appetizer/dish to take to a bible study group, friend's gather, house-warming, etc. All you have to do is pick up a bag of baguettes, put a ribbon on the jar, and away you go. Instant party dish!
Bruschetta in a Jar
5 cloves garlic, minced
1 cup dry white wine
1 cup white wine vinegar
1/4 cup distilled vinegar
1/2 cup water
2 tablespoons sugar
2 tablespoons dried basil
2 tablespoons dried oregano
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
9 cups chopped, cored and peeled tomatoes
(I usually don't peel unless skin is tough.)
Prepare you boil bath canner. Sterilize jars and lids. Then combine all garlic, wine, vinegars, water, spices and sugar in saucepan. Bring to a full rolling boil over high heat. Stir occasionally. Reduce heat, cover and simmer 5 minutes until garlic is heated through. Remove from heat. With slotted spoon, ladle tomatoes into hot jars leave 1/2 inch headspace. Ladle hot vinegar mixture over tomatoes leaving 1/2 inch headspace. Remove air bubbles. Wipe rim. Place 2 piece lid and process jars in boil bath for 20 minutes, adjusting for altitude.
If you follow the recipe to a "T" , it will make only about 7 half pints. I do not use a slotted spoon to ladle just the tomatoes in the jars first, as I do not want to waste the liquid. Which you will have liquid left over to throw out. I will use the liquid, so I just use a ladle to jar it up. I usually get about 5 pint jars full.
Enjoy! It is awesome...I will share more on the Peach Pie Filling soon.


Oh, I can't wait to try the peach pie filling.
ReplyDeleteI see you're canning like crazy like me! I just finished canning pizza sauce!